Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Growing up With sports


I ended up stop playing baseball when I got to junior high. I still loved to play the sport but I always missed camping trips with my family, and those were much more fun. I stayed with basketball though and played it on the concrete courts at the camp grounds when we did go camping. In the 6th grade I was my oldest brothers water boy for the varsity boys basketball team. Because I loved watching them and loved to travel with the team. Even though we were pretty abused it was a real fun time being with the guys I looked up to and wanted to be like. My favorite NBA player at the time was Jason Kidd, because he wore number 5 and probably because he was really good. I loved watching him because he wasn’t selfish. He would love doing the things no one else would. He was so fun to watch. Also in junior high I was real short and played guard so I tried to be like him. In 7th grade our basketball team got runner up in the league championship game. In 8th grade we lost in the second round to a team that was better than us that night but we were overall the better team. Throughout high school basketball was my getaway from reality, whenever I needed to think or was mad about something I would always go to the gym to just forget about everything and shoot. Basketball made going through my parents split, much easier for me because I would forget about it all. I used the anger as motivation to get better and better myself as a person. I spent a lot of time with my teammates who were also my best friends. We all became one and as a result won 3 league championships in a row. After high school I had to make the hardest decision of my life. to choose to go play college basketball or not. Both of my brothers played and were successful at it and both played all four years. In a way I felt like I had to otherwise I would be a failure, but then again I knew I didn’t have the physique and wanted to just have fun in college. So I decided not to play and have fun. Then the summer going into my freshman year of college, my father passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment